This can be a high carb or a low carb challenge depending on your food choices. The main focus is to eat more real food (fruit/veggies).
Welcome to the #800gChallenge! A 4-week nutrition challenge to start Spring 2018 off right. Read below for all the details and mark your calendar for the in-house Whiteboard Talk on Monday, March 26, at 7 PM.
Eat 800 grams (g) of fruits and vegetables a day. No foods are off-limits, but you only count your fruits and vegetables towards challenge points. Raw, cooked, canned, frozen; doesn’t matter! If you can weigh it as a standalone and unprocessed fruit or vegetable, you can count it. Yes, you will need a food scale. What counts and does not count? The nitty-gritty rule specifics can be found here.
You can eat the fruits and vegetables you like while adhering to other nutritional targets. Your choices can be higher carb, lower carb, all fruit, perfect Paleo: it’s up to you.
So why 800g? It’s associated with increased health and is a simplified way to hit those recommended servings of fruits and vegetables. Read more here.
April 1 – April 28
Monday, March 26 at 7 pm. Learn about the challenge. Get your questions answered.
- 2 points are awarded for eating 800 grams of fruits and/or vegetables in a day. You do not get extra points for any amount over 800g.
- 1 additional point is awarded for “diversity”: when 6 or more fruits and/or vegetables are used to hit your daily 800g total (where each of these 6+ items has to have a minimum of 25g). Hitting 800g in a day is a prerequisite to being eligible for this point.
- 1 point is also awarded for working out at CrossFit Breed (max 5 points per week). A run on your own or workout in your home gym does. not. count.
We will award one month of free membership to the person with the highest point total at the end of the 4 weeks. We’ll also have a few runner-up prizes.
- $25 per person
- You must sign up by midnight on Friday, March 30th. No sign-ups can occur after that date. None.
- Further instructions for score logging will be emailed on Saturday, March 31.
- CrossFit Breed members’ spouses, significant others or roommates can play along, too (must be 18 years old). Get the whole house onboard to stay motivated throughout the challenge.
- The same rules apply, except no workout points are awarded and there is no prize in the unaffiliated group.
Comment below and mark your calendars! Coach Hutch will host a Chalk Talk on Monday, March 26, at 7 PM to explain the challenge and answer any questions. The Get Fit Nutritional Facebook group will be our platform for comments, questions, pictures, and motivation. Kettlebell Kitchen is an excellent and delicious meal delivery service which we have partnered up with to provide meals through the challenge!