NAME: Angel D. Roman
OCCUPATION: Senior Bank Examiner/Operational Risk Management
- FOR HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN CROSSFITTING – It has been about 6 months.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WOD OR MOVEMENT AND WHY – I don’t know if I have a favorite or a least favorite Crossfit movement yet. I view each new movement as a way to work on my weakness and challenge myself by proving that my body is capable of more than I ever dreamed.
- WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE WOD OR MOVEMENT AND WHY – see # 2 response.
- HOW DID YOU GET INTO CROSSFIT – I started Crossfit because I needed to change my health situation. One day, I saw a group ofCrossfit athletes running in the neighborhood and I noticed a couple of guys that were similar in size to me. Fast forward a couple of months, I’m struggling to make it up the small incline on Grove Street off of Fresh Pond Avenue and I see these same guys, but this time I noticed how muscular and trimmer they looked. At that moment a part of me knew that this would change my life for the better. I visited the website and did some research; however, it still took almost 2 weeks to muster the courage to sign-up for a trial class. Now, six months later,Crossfit has become a part of my life and I plan to keep it that way.
- WHAT FITNESS PROGRAM WERE YOU DOING BEFORE CROSSFIT AND HOW DO THEY DIFFER – Over the years, I’ve done martial arts and joined numerous gyms, but got bored of the plain routines at the gym and repetitive strikes at a punching bag and seeing no results with weight loss. The difference is in the results; I’m amazed on how much I’ve transformed my body so far.
- HOW HAVE YOU CHANGED SINCE JOINING CF BREED – One thing I have learned is to stop thinking I can’t do something. The support from the coaches and athletes at Crossfit Breed is amazing. They motivate me to get through every WOD and because of this I have become leaner and can now do movements (like box jumps) that I never thought for an instance would be possible. For me,Crossfit isn’t about finishing a workout faster that the person next to you. It’s more about beating the “you” from the previous workout instead.
- WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE TO NEW COMERS TO CROSSFIT – I would tell New Comers that Crossfit will give a boost in self confidence and it will make you realize that you are capable of more than you thought – both mentally and physically.
- WHY DO YOU LIKE TRAINING AT CROSSFIT BREED – I like having a great group of coaches and athletes to work with and encourage you moving forward. The coaches are so motivating and knowledgeable, and they help you to keep focused on your goals.
- DO YOU PLAY ANY SPORTS? WHICH? I’ve been so obese that sporting activities have not been an option. However, I’ve decided to sign-up for a softball league sponsored by my employer this spring. I’m confident that I’ll be at least 35 pounds thinner by spring.
- WHAT ARE YOUR FITNESS GOALS FOR 2015? Back in August 2014, I weighed 338 pounds. I’m proud to publicize that I’ve slimmed down to 295 pounds. However, the aim is to reach 200 pounds by December 2015 and then compete in a Spartan event in the spring of 2016.