“One of the strongest athletes at the box, Jos”Aye” Deadlifts over 400# and Squats over 300#, but he doesn’t stop there. He is constantly working on getting better. Walk in the box on any giving day and you will see Jose working on double unders, toes 2 bar or maybe trying to get his 1st muscle up. I select Jose for the Athlete of the Month because of his motivation, his energy and his competitive nature. He’s always quoting Ronnie Coleman and CT Fletcher (two HUGE muscle heads) saying, “You better grow m*therf*cker” or “Light weight babyyyyyy.”, these words motivate him and others around him. He always checks the whiteboard to see what other athletes are lifting or how fast they finish the WOD and he tries to beat everybody, doesn’t always happen but his heart is always up for the challenge and he gives his all. His ultimate goal is to beat Rich Froning, I don’t doubt that he will keep trying. Good Luck!” -Coach Hutch
NAME JOSE MARTINEZ
BIRTHDAY February 15
OCCUPATION HVAC technician
1. FOR HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN CROSSFITTING
– I have been CrossFitting for 7 month
2. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WOD OR MOVEMENT AND WHY
– I love the Dead lift, its one movement that came easy to me.
3. WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE WOD OR MOVEMENT AND WHY
– My least favorite movement is the kettlebell swing, for some reason it takes everything out me. Box jumps are not far behind, they are my second least movement. It’s tough being short.
4. HOW DID YOU GET INTO CROSSFIT
– My wife has a few friends who CrossFit at various boxes, she had been trying to convince me to try it out for a long time. One day I was walking home and seen that Breed had opened around the corner from my house, it had to be faith. I signed up the next day.
5. WHAT FITNESS PROGRAM WERE YOU DOING BEFORE CROSSFIT AND HOW DO THEY DIFFER
– I was doing the typical back and bicep, chest and triceps at the gym. Trying to “GET BIG”. Now with CrossFit, it’s about fitness. Becoming a better ME.
6. HOW HAVE YOU CHANGED SINCE JOINING CF BREED
– I eat better now. I challenge myself a lot more. I was never one to take advice when it came to fitness. I thought I knew it all. You become a lot more humble the first time you do a snatch or clean.
7. WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE TO NEW COMERS TO CROSSFIT
– I would say don’t rush to lift heavy and don’t get discouraged. The movements can be difficult to learn but you will get used to it. Coach told me the weight will come when you get the movements down.
8. WHY DO YOU LIKE TRAINING AT CROSSFIT BREED
– The family atmosphere is what keeps me going. Everyone wants to see you succeed. I remember one of the first WODs I did, I was the last one to finish. As I was getting my last reps in everyone was clapping and cheering me on, it got me through it. Another reason is the coaching.
9. DO YOU PLAY ANY SPORTS? WHICH?
– I love all sports. My favorite is cycling.
10. WHAT ARE YOUR FITNESS GOALS FOR 2014?
– BEAT RICH FRONING!