1. Who are you and what do you do?
I’m Stephanie Wakefield, and I’m a geographer & writer. I teach Urban & Environmental Studies at Queens College.
2. Describe yourself in ONE positive word.
3. If you were an animal which would you be and why?
A fox, it’s my spirit animal!
4. How did you get to Breed?
A year and a half ago I was writing my Ph.D. dissertation and working from home more, so I quit my gym in the city & looked for one in the neighborhood. One of my close friends had been training CrossFit for years and loved it, so when I randomly drove by Breed one day I decided to check it out. Very glad I did.
5. What are some of your good habits or characteristics?
I’m driven, and I like challenges, so I’m always willing to try new things and keep going in the face of adversity. I don’t take negativity seriously anymore, I just laugh!
6. Do you enjoy working out, Why or why not?
I LOVE working out. To me, it’s one of the most pleasurable and most basic human activities, pure feeling of the mind and body together as one. Haha …or I just like to sweat
7. What super powers would you have liked to have? Why?
Giant arms. I would lift up all of my people, like Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Make a list of 5 things you are grateful for.
My gorgeous husband
Everything I’ve been given
Being alive at this insane time in history
9. Who or what inspires you?
I’m inspired by ancient Greek philosophy and its practices for how to life your life, but I’m also inspired by all the people around me who live their life with passion and realness.
10. What are you currently improving in CrossFit?
Gymnastics, calisthenics, & my posture.
11. How is CrossFit changing your life?
Crossfit Breed got me able to do pull-ups, and I overcame a lot of fears about lifting. It also changed my mentality as to what fitness is about and set my bar much higher
12. What current books or music are you currently into?
For the last year, I’ve been reading The Malazan Book of the Fallen fantasy series by Steven Erikson. Best books I’ve ever read EVER.
I’m really into some new hip hop here and being made by kids in France & the UK. This MHD song, for example, is ridiculous! What are they thinking?! VIDEO
13. What projects are you working on outside of CrossFit?
I run an oyster restoration test site in Flushing Bay which we’re expanding into a full reef this year. The goal is to use oysters to bring life back to the water.
I just started a new project called Crucible: Tools for the Earthbound
14. Share with us something we might not know about you.
I was once a women’s weight loss coach at a chain gym